The party at Dance Dearborn has ended. We hope you had fun! This was your Convention! The dancers, callers and cuers who filled out last year’s survey provided lots of input into this Convention. We set a few additional goals; it was exciting to see them become reality! We had over 400 registered dancers from 14 states and Canada! The Mainstream floor was filled with dancers! The Great Room, located in the Hotel Lobby, was always filled with fun!
A big “Thank You!” to all the dancers, callers, cuers and line dance leader who volunteered their time and talents to create a fun atmosphere for Dance Dearborn! The impromptu duets were a nice surprise and one of our favorite parts! A special “Thank you!” to the callers, dancers and clubs who supported the Wood Floor Fundraising Dances by volunteering to call, dance or sponsor a dance! Callers at the May dance were: George Ferguson, Ray Marsch, Ben Purkett Sr., Marvin Reuter, Jenn Troy, Cindy Warner and Walt Zatorski, with a short guest appearance by Ray Wiles. Christmas in July was sponsored by Walt and Carrie Zatorski, Tom and Pam McCarthy, and the Tom Katz Square Dance Club. These activities raised $1,780 towards paying for the wood floors! Using all wood floors cost approximately $2000 more than using wood round dance floors and tile square dance floors. If there are any clubs, cuers and/or callers who would be willing to sponsor a Wood Floor Fundraising Dance for the 2017 Michigan Square & Round Dance Convention, please contact the Germans at email@example.com. We would appreciate the help!
Thank you to the Dance Dearborn Committee members! We appreciate your support and the many hours of work you put into the Convention. Dance Dearborn was a team effort; we couldn’t have done it without you!
The winners of Competition Squares were:
1st place - Marschmellow Squares
2nd place - Doe-Si-Doe's
3rd place - Country Twirlers
Honorable Mention - Flushing Road Runners
Convention pictures and videos can be found on Facebook at 2016 Michigan Square & Round Dance Convention and on Photobucket at http://s349.photobucket.com/. Many have been posted, but there will be more to come!
Only a small percent of dancers have completed the survey. The time has passed, but we will continue to accept surveys through September at http://goo.gl/forms/opCs6eIhbLeoorgi2. The surveys we’ve received have been very positive! Dancers liked the variety of callers and dancing. Several commented on the success of the Great Room. A few comments from dancers: “The stage in the lobby allowed people coming and going to see what our dancing (squares & rounds) is all about for people of all ages.” “Loved dancing and watching things in the lobby.” “Facility was nice. The wood floors!!!!!!”
Register for “Work the Gears Through the Years,” the 55th Michigan Square & Round Dance Convention, by January 1, 2017, to get the best deal! New this year, take special care of your one-and-only ribbon; it is your ticket into the Convention. Your purchase of a Convention t-shirt helps support and advertise the Convention!
New dancers are the future of our activity. What can you do to introduce the wonderful world of square dancing to the non-dancers of the world?
Again, “Thank you!” to EVERYONE! We had a great time at Dance Dearborn and hope you did too! See you next year in Dearborn/Detroit at Work the Gears Through the Years!
Pam and Russ German, General Chairs
54th Michigan Square & Round Dance Convention
55th Michigan Square & Round Dance Convention
Join us on August 18 (Trail End Dance), 19 and 20, 2016 for the 54th Annual State Convention. We'll be at the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Detroit - Dearborn, 5801 Southfield Expressway, Detroit MI 48228. Phone: 313-336-3340, Web: www.Dearborn.DoubleTree.com
If you're a history buff, you can find information on past conventions here.
• Thursday Night August 18, 6:30 pre-rounds, 7:00-10:00 p.m. Trail End Dance: Don’t miss this special dance with Featured Caller, Bobby Poyner and Featured Cuers, Jerry Buckmaster and Zodie Reigel. Free admission with your “I’m Registered” ribbon. $10.00 admission per person if you are not registered for the 2016 Michigan Square and Round Dance Convention.
• Friday: Caller’s Seminar; Dance All Night after party
• Saturday: Fashion Show; After party sponsored by 66th NSDC
ALL DANCE FLOORS ARE WOOD THIS YEAR!
6 Halls of FUN DANCING FRIDAY & SATURDAY.... including:
• Main Dance Hall: Plus, High Energy Plus, Hex, Progressive Squares, Ph. II Rounds each hour Friday and Saturday evenings, Competition Squares (with prizes for the first ($300), second ($200), & third ($100) place teams!), Latest & Greatest (New & Experienced Calling Teams)
• Mainstream Hall: High Energy Mainstream, Dangle Dance, Easy Rounds, Lines or Traditional most hours
• DBD/Advanced Hall
• Variety Hall: C-1, Workshops, Sewing Seminar
• Rounds Halls: Ph. II-V Program, Showcase Teaches.
• Theme baskets have always been a highlight of our State Convention. This year’s format will be a combination Silent Auction and Raffle. All clubs, as well as individuals, are invited to create and donate a basket. Associations are encouraged to donate a basket with free dance passes for every club that is a member of their association. Please submit this form by August 1, 2016. Proceeds will be used toward the cost of wood dance floors in all halls for the convention.
Thursday: Trail-In Dance 6:30 pre-rounds, 7:00-10:00 p.m. (casual attire acceptable)
Please download and complete the Convention Info and Registration Form, write a check payable to MCSRDC and mail your registration form and check to: Vickie Stewart & Dan Harris, Registration Chair, 404 S Ottawa St, St Johns, MI, 48879. If you have any questions, just drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Chili's||11am-12am||5707 Southfield Fwy, Detroit||(313) 271-2339|
|Red Robin||11am-12am||18650 Ford Rd, Dearborn||(313) 996-8910|
|Wendy’s||9:30AM-2:00AM||18430 Ford Rd, Detroit||(313) 593-4449|